Ty has been asking when he would go to Kindergarten for months. While we were still in WY, he would tell people that he was going to go to Kindergarten “tomorrow”. He had a hard time grasping that it would be months away.
The time has finally come – kind of. The elementary school, A.B. Combs, is just a few blocks from our house. So we can walk to school. Combs is a Magnet Leadership school which follows the Stephen Covey 7 Habits. He has slowly been introduced to his school. Monday night of this week they had an open house in the evening to inform new parents how the carpool line works as well as other important school information. The YMCA was there to provide childcare which Ty was excited to join, but Kylan did not cooperate and we had to leave.
Tuesday between my classes, I took Ty to school to meet his teachers – Mrs. White and Mrs. Proctor. Patience, one of Ty’s friends from Bright Horizons Preschool, is in Ty’s class. The two of them are very excited about this. After meeting his teacher, Mrs. White, Ty proceeded to check out his new Kindergarten classroom. The first thing he found was the marble maze. This is where he spent the next hour – and then it was time to go.
They do a “staggered” entry for the teachers, so even though school started on Wednesday the 25th, Kindergarten starts the following week on Sept 1. During those 5 days, the new kindergartener goes for half a day for the teachers to perform some evaluations to see where the child is.
Ty’s “Testing” day was today. Ty was a bit upset that he did not have a clean striped shirt to wear, but settled on the blue and red shirt. After dropping Kylan off at Bright Horizons, we returned home and packed Ty’s lunch. After hearing the lunch options at school, Ty decided he wanted to pack his own lunch – he requested a bacon sandwich with some ketchup, carrots from Grandma/Papa’s garden, chocolate milk and mixed fruit. Then we put it in his new big backpack and began our walk to school.
We arrived right at 9 AM. Mrs. White greeted him at the door and helped him find his cubby to place his lunch bag and backpack in. Ty gave me a quick kiss and then followed his teacher to his seat.
At 1:00, I was waiting outside the doors at the carpool circle.
Ty finally walked out with his classmates and teachers. He noticed me standing there and wanted to run to see me, but his teachers wanted him to line up for pickup.
Once he was seated, I walked over to pick him up. Mrs. White said he had a great day. She said he did a great job reading site words and read 190 site words and wanted to read more.
I asked Ty to tell me about his day as we walked home. He said it was good. He said his teacher was quite impressed that he could read so well. When I asked what else he did, he said he played with blocks. I asked if he had to count the blocks. He responded, “No mom, I just had to tell them the colors. And you know what mom, I ate lunch right before it was time to go.”
Ty asked if he would be going to school tomorrow – I told him that it would be Saturday, but that he would return on Wednesday. He has had a hard time understanding why he doesn’t go everyday yet.
As we made our way back to our house, Ty told me, “Mom, I really like our house.”
No comments:
Post a Comment