Our Family

Our Family

Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Moving Process Summer 2011

In the spring, after much prayer and fasting, we decided that the boys and I would return to WY to be with Chris in Cheyenne.  As the time approached, Chris had conversations with individuals from Western Wyoming Community College in Rock Springs about possible job opportunities there.  One of the jobs opening up, was for a new Exercise Science/Nutrition Professor that Chris thought would be perfect for me.  So in May, I sent off my application for the position.  While Chris and I were at a conference in Florida, I received a call that they wanted to fly me out to Rock Springs, WY to interview for the teaching position.  So I flew out they next week to interview.  I felt the interview went fairly well, but I was not terribly excited about Rock Springs.  Chris drove out and was able to go to dinner with me with members of the interview committee.  Overall, he felt pretty good about it.  Less than a week later, they called and offered me the position.  This is not at all how we planned it, we had just figured Chris would either move out to Raleigh with us, or we would move back to Cheyenne – we never planned on both of us leaving both the jobs we were currently in. 
We thought everything was falling into place.  I posted our home on Zillow with a “make me move” status.  Within a few weeks, an interested family contacted me.  Although it seemed our house was probably out of their price range, they made an offer and we negotiated to a price we were okay with under the circumstances.  Everything was going smoothly until the appraisal came back.  It came back lower than our agreed upon price, but we thought we had come to an agreement with the buyers when they walked out the day before and made an offer on another home in the neighborhood. 
In the meantime, I packed up our home and with the help of the priesthood in our ward, loaded up the moving truck. Chris flew out to pick up the boys and took them to his parents in Idaho.  The boys would stay in ID for a couple weeks while I took care of the home and Chris continued working at LCCC. 
When we realized our home would not sell for what we needed, we quickly advertised for renters.  So we have now become landlords. 
Our home on Liles Road:
IMG_7122
After getting the house taken care of the best I could, I drove out of Raleigh on Saturday June 25 to make the cross country drive to WY and then onto ID. 
Here are a few photos I took of the St. Louis Arch as I drove by, since I did not have time to stop:)
Photo0134 Photo0135
After 3 long days of driving (my 3rd day probably my longest due to driving around the flood areas in the midwest), I arrived in Cheyenne on Monday June 27.  Chris and I then drove to Rock Springs, were we spent 2 days looking for a place to rent. 
The rental options in Rock Springs were quite disappointing and sometimes scary.  But we settled on the best option we found – a twin townhome.  The positives: it had 2 car garage, fenced back yard, 3 bedrooms and was in the best condition of anything we had looked at.  We finalized the rental just in time to have the truck delivered with our household.  Upon opening the truck, we were met with a surprise.  The bulkhead had broken and our boxes and belongs were scattered across the back of the truck.  



After quick inspection, there was a lot of damage, but it appeared nothing was broken. 
With the help of neighbors and people from the ward, we were able to get everything unloaded in a few hours.  Then Chris and I set up the beds for our return with the boys. 
With everything in our new “home” we locked it up and made the drive to ID to pick up the boys on July 1. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh Kristine! What a nightmare! I hope everything has settled down and Rock Springs turns out to be a good place for you guys!

    ReplyDelete