Since September he has been constantly reminding me that I needed to work on his cardboard train for Halloween. Kylan found a train hat at school and I was told he would wear it most all day long and did so for over a week. He loves trains almost more than Ty – so I figured he would enjoy being a train engineer as well.
The weekend before Halloween I finally tackled their train cardboard boxes: Hiro for Ty and Thomas for Kylan. It was an all day event: Cutting up the card board boxes, spray painting them, allowing them to dry, (I drew the faces a few days before), then decorating the boxes. I finished them at night after the kids had gone to bed. When Ty woke the next morning, he came downstairs to inspect my work. He came out of the office and informed me that the trains were not done. They needed a floor and chugging actions, moving wheels, a whistle and a funnel. I had to explain to Ty that their trains were as decorated as they were going to be. Well, Ty decided there had to be at least one more thing and ran to his activity cabinet and retrieved his Special white pencil and proceeded to draw in chugging actions between the wheels. He then informed me that his train was ready.
Unfortunately, Kylan did not enjoy being dressed up very long. For school on Friday before Halloween they had favorite character day. So I waited until we were walking into his school and then put on his train, hat and handkerchief. He wore it long enough to walk into his classroom for his teacher to take a picture.
That night our ward had a trunk-or-treat. Ty was excited to show off his Hiro train and was quick to correct anyone who called him Thomas.
He was off, I had to keep reminding him to wait for Kylan and I. Kylan refused to even where his hat – instead he insisted on holding my hand to walk around with his Henry train in his other hand. At one point, I realize he had dropped his train. I picked it up and set it in his candy basket thinking he had just grown tired of it. A few minutes later I looked down and realized he was chewing. Looking back through the pictures that night, I realize I had documented him shoving a long tootsie roll in his mouth, wrapper and all. (I found the evidence of the wrapper the next morning in his diaper).
Ty’s friend Patience (dressed as Daphne from Scooby Doo) arrived just as we had finished our rounds on the trunk-or-treat, so we found a handful of cars that still had candy for Patience. Then the kids enjoyed a few of the activities the ward had planned.
Saturday – Oct 30
Our friends (old neighbors from Skybrook) invited us to join their neighborhood celebration on Saturday. It included a parade following an emergency vehicle through the neighborhood, lunch and crafts and scavenger hunt for the kids. I was finally able to get Kylan to wear his costume long enough for some pictures – I told him that Robert and Christin wanted to see him dressed up.
Here is Ty questioning the men who had come with the emergency vehicle (Robert had told us it would be a firetruck – however, they were unable to bring it) – but Ty thought it would be a firetruck and had many questions about how they would put out a fire as well as many other questions.
Kylan lasted about 3 minutes on the parade around the neighborhood and then I had to carry him. Ty lasted about 5 minutes with his Hiro train, then Robert kindly carried it the rest of the way. It was a fun activity – Kylan enjoyed having Christin hold him and Ty had Robert take him on the scavenger hunt.
HALLOWEEN NIGHT
On Thursday before Halloween, the Kindergarten classes at Ty’s school went on a field trip to a Pumpkin Farm. They learned about the farm, saw some animals went on a Hay ride and then they each received a pumpkin. Ty also collected pumpkin seats and dried corn that he stuffed in his pockets (which I was unaware of and they went through the washer and dryer). Ty wanted to make a Jack –o- lantern of his pumpkin. So finally during quiet time on Sunday, I helped Ty carve a Jack-o-lantern (well actually, I just did it). Ty was pretty excited about it. “Now we just need a light.” He informed me after we were finished.
Our friends Robert and Christin, invited us for dinner and to trick-or-treat in their neighborhood.
So we enjoyed an excellent steak dinner – a halloween cupcake and then the kids were ready to go.
Ty had invited Patience to join us and Patience invited their friend Chloe. Coincidently, the girls had both decided to dress as Daphne from Scooby Doo. Here are some shots of the kids and then those adults that dress up.
Robert is the Alien from Toy Story, Chris is a football player, Suzie a banana and I opted for the Referee.
Here is Suzie giving the kids instructions for how we will trick –or –treat.
And they are off….
Kylan ran for at least a good half hour from house to house and then he was ready for me to carry him. The kids made it around the neighborhood circle and finished with their buckets full!
Thriller Step Aerobics Class
Students from my step aerobics class asked if they could dress up on the Thursday class before Halloween – I told them yes as long as they could move freely, wear proper shoes and wear nothing that would fall off. I told them I would play Halloween music. They requested I do the Thriller dance for our workout and put it to the step. I had a student volunteer to lead us in the Thriller dance for warmup. Well – I did not quite develop a routine for step aerobics, but instead created a circuit with Thriller inspired movements. After the class – the guys that dressed up asked if we could get a picture. We are making a Thriller pose.
No comments:
Post a Comment